Art on the Road

A few thoughts about finding art where ever I am.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Bragging on a Friend

Daniel Robinson was my tour guide here at JMU a year ago when I showed up to check out the school. Once I joined the program, he became mentor and "big brother," ever the voice of calm in the insanity that is grad school - the mantra he always says to me is "everything is going to be OK." My nickname for him is Zen Master. He calls me Sambuca. He has taught me much about being committed to making art, and where to find the best burger in town. He and his girlfriend Kim have become part of my VA family. And if he tells you a dreadful story about me and some chips and dip, it's all lies!

Daniel will be graduating this semester. I'm thrilled that he's finished, and am rooting for a lucky bunch of students to get him as their new photo professor next semester. But frankly, it ticks me off because it means I got only one year of studying with him instead of more. Yes, I'm selfish when it comes to good friends.

So in celebration of Daniel making it through the grad school gauntlet, I offer you a lovely article that was published about him, his art, and his MFA thesis show in our local paper. Congrats, Daniel! You leave some mighty big shoes to fill!!

http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=15604&CHID=37&key=pinhole&title=&author=&channelid=

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you. Happy Empty Tomb Day! LOVE, LOVE LOVE your writing. Send me anything ... grocery lists, whatever you scribble down.

Any chance you might be out west on May 3rd? The guild's president's luncheon will be at my house to welcome in the new prez. Everyone would be thrilled to see you.

Smiles, Phyllis

3/23/2008 11:52 AM  
Blogger tuffy said...

cool!!!

jg

3/28/2008 2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always I love your entries. I know you will miss him terribly.

I wish I would see his work. Sounds amazing.

Love and hugs
Little Red

4/23/2008 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home