Art on the Road

A few thoughts about finding art where ever I am.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

One for the quilters – a whole new world

For those of you who aren’t into quilts, please skip over this one. I’m about to get a little bit quilt geeky.

Today the road led to Paducah, Kentucky – one of the quilt world’s two Meccas, Houston being the other. Paducah is home to the Museum of the American Quilter’s Society, and its yearly quilt show. I’m sad to say that no pix were allowed, and the show was policed by sharp-eyed retired quilters that were protecting the quilts as if they had made every stitch themselves. You’ve met the type at the guild: so ferocious they intimidate you into straighter posture and better manners.

I haven’t been into quilting much in the last few years as all of my artistic attention has been distracted by the work I needed to make in my quest for a seat in grad school. So it is through out-of-touch eyes that these observations are made.

YIKES! What quilts! They had the winners from the last couple of years on display. I sure hope the magazines have been showing close up pictures because if not, you wouldn’t understand the complexity of therm. (Here’s a link to some pix of the 2007 winner: http://www.patsyterrell.com/2007/05/sharon-schamber-of-payson-arizona-won.html). Every last nook of these quilts is quilted to within an eighth-inch of its life. Entire secondary designs in the white space, some as complex as an actual quilt, but only in thread. Perfectly even, tiny machine stitches (the makers have either stunning coordination or stitch regulators). These new quilts are so complex that they make Caryl Bryer Fallert’s winners from the 90’s look like warm up exercises. And stuff from ten years ago looks like best of show from the local county fair now. The backs are stunning also – dang them!

They are almost too perfect… what ever happened to the humility block? I realize that wavy borders don’t deserve the $20 grand prize, but these were so perfect that it was beyond intimidating.

Makes me glad I’m not running in this playground anymore (once upon a time I was getting into the occasional big show) – frankly, I’ve always been more interested in color rather than the actual quilting stitches. These days I seem to be happy making simpler quilts, putting my colors into other peoples’ patterns. Dare I say that making a quilt that can be touched and snuggled under seems so much more relevant to me now. As I said… a whole new world.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having been on the receiving end of one of your beautiful "hugs" the stitches you describe barely compare to the love I feel when I grab it off the back of the couch for a snuggle each evening. Thanks for the web connection.
Love Teri

8/01/2007 7:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so glad you swung out of your way to see that. We (local) quilters and live through you.
I went to the Int'l Pacific show last year and had the same feeling. Out of my league. But, ya know, a soft warm snuggly quilt will still be a welcomed gift for a new mom, a newly married couple or an elderly relative. Don't give up on quilting. It's just that these people (men and women) have moved fiber art to a level we don't want to join, and that's OK.

It has been fun to chat with you as your travel across our beloved country. It has been many years since I have done that and I remember fondly sitting in the back seat of my family car watching the telephone poles whiz by. (Long before the 'super highway'.) I so enjoyed it and had no idea at the time the joy of Route 66 would be gone. The diners, the gas stations the friendly truckers who would toot their horns when you pass them and watched out the back window and make the "blow your horn" motion at them. With the advent of affordable airfare we miss the down-to-earth life on the road. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.
Be Safe...
Love, KT

8/01/2007 9:00 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8/01/2007 9:20 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Now it's on my list to go to Paducah, if only to shop at Hancock's. We all need to sew more...it helps soothe some of the sharper edges of life.

8/01/2007 9:22 AM  
Blogger CSUCI Alumni said...

Beautiful quilts! But we miss you here at CSUCI already! I have something special to send your way. Email me with your new mailing address soon so that you can put this in your new home...

Tania & the CSUCI crew

8/02/2007 12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam,
I took a class from Sharon Shamber in '06 and was shocked to learn that she a dibilitating hand tremor. She makes those fabulous quilts with constantly shaking hands.
After that... I have no excuses.
Phyllis

8/03/2007 4:15 PM  
Blogger tuffy said...

''Dare I say that making a quilt that can be touched and snuggled under seems so much more relevant to me now.''

actually, this kind of art (functional art) is very relevant to me and something i strive for in my own work. it's not to be belittled in my opinion..true beauty includes a highly, mysteriously, functional aspect. but i guessthat view/aim would put me out of the grad school pool...

8/03/2007 6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home