Art on the Road

A few thoughts about finding art where ever I am.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Mind the Gap!

Friday July 7th - London

One of the nice things about the CSUCI program is that it leaves us the weekends to travel. So off to London for Alexis (a fellow student and pal) and me for this, the first weekend of the trip. The internet cafe will not allow me to upload pictures to go with the posts, but I promise to add them when I get back my own computer and the school's wifi. Technology is a wonderful thing - especially when it actually cooperates.

From the musty, mechanical, vaguely electrical smell of the Tube to the waft of a proper English breakfast eminating from our B&B kitchen this morning, it smells like home. It will undoubtedly turn into a food pilgrimage for me: proper cups of tea, even in Starbucks (which incidentally are kitted out exactly the same as in CA); sausage rolls; little cups of outrageously expensive ice cream at the theatre (Chicago last night, Avenue Q tonight if the half price ticket booth obliges). I must find fish and chips today.

Alexis is navigating the tube well already - that it is not in French has added to her comfort level, despite the fact that they talk funny and fast here. She thinks all the Mind the Gap announcements, signs and souvenirs are hysterical. We've even found it printed on underwear. Quite brilliant, that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home