Art on the Road

A few thoughts about finding art where ever I am.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Welcome to Harrisonburg VA



I've been in Harrisonburg the last couple of days, finding a home and finding my way around the town in preparation for moving here in August. According to information supplied by the Chamber of Commerce, Harrisonburg is home to about 40,000 people and 140 churches. It is easy to think that a town that is only 2 hours away from Washington DC is "east coast" but I'm thinking it's closer to the south than it seems. I've been called "ma'am" and "honey," and been offered sweet tea at every turn. The endless politeness is quite refreshing, even though I prefer my tea without sugar!

Today's first picture is of the downtown Harrisonburg courthouse. It sits in the middle of a square, surrounded by a clockwise procession of one way streets and a couple of welcoming cafes. It's not the biggest landmark visible - that would be the new science building at James Madison University, currently several ugly stories of building frame on the highest hill.

The second picture is of where you will be able to find me when I'm not home - this is the building that houses the JMU art galleries and the graduate studios. I chose my studio yesterday - it is cool and quiet, and next to that of a very talented photography student who was my guide earlier this spring.

To those who have asked... yes, the Simi house has been rented, and yes, I've found a home here. It's in a quiet old town neighborhood of dutch colonial houses (the east coast equivalent of our California craftsman beauties, complete with columns and wrap-around porches), a short 1.2 miles from the art department building. It is a townhouse, built in 1950, with wood floors and a full basement that will become my home studio. It also has a wonderful second bedroom that will soon be open for guests!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah SAM!!!!!
We are SO happy you
1. rented the Simi house. Makes all that painting worth while.
2. Found a place to hang your hat.
Wow. That must be a big relief.

Speaking of relief... we need some. 100 everyday this week in Tujunga!

6/23/2007 6:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

SAM! I've just spent the last week in Virginia Beach on tour, and I wish I could have seen you around there. I'm so glad to see you found your new place, and I'm going to be taking a road trip in September out back to this area so I'll definitely be giving you a call :^)

6/24/2007 9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with you in spirit. I envy your adventure. The world has waited patiently for Sam to reappear. Immerse yourself. Much love.

6/24/2007 11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey sam!
awesome--glad it's all working out. love the studio description--sounds inspiring.
xo
jg

6/25/2007 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sam,

Looks like you got the lay of the land. AND you got the house rented. You go, Girl!

Love all the bloggin'. You can always fall back on writing if you need a few extra bucks. You are good at that, too.

Phyllis

6/26/2007 6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Art Girl meets Sweet Tea!

6/27/2007 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home